Maybelline Superstay Better Skin Skin-Transforming Powder | Product Review

By Cindy Nguyen - 11:28 AM




I was strolling in the aisles of the inconsistent Walmart's beauty aisles when my eyes lured me to the Maybelline Superstay Better Skin Skin-Transforming Powder. I've seen this around the internet but haven't heard much about it, so I thought, "Why not try it out?" 

The hardest part about buying drugstore makeup is that I never know what my shade is. I crossed my fingers, said a quick prayer, and I took a chance at color. I obtained the shade 50 in Nude Beige

Now, here are the product's claims:
  • It's made with salicylic acid (which essentially is an acid that fights off acne, blackheads, whiteheads, deep cleans your pores, and exfoliates your skin)
  • Wears all day
  • Improves the skin's look by reducing the appearance of imperfections, pores, and unevenness

As you open the compact, you will be greeted with a square-shaped sponge that is not pictured above, alongside the product on the left side of the compartment. There is a huge mirror that also comes in handy so that you may touch-up on your eye or face make-up so that you would never have to fight your friends for a mirror in the bathroom again.

I will have to say that I am miraculously blessed with having smooth and blemish-free skin, so I am not sure I am able to tell if this will be able to improve my skin internally, but my skin is a bit uneven. With that being said, usually liquid foundations are too heavy for me for a daily look because it makes my skin look a little cake-y for everyday wear. 

However, my skin is a combination of different types of textures. The tip of my nose and the skin between my eyebrows can be randomly dry. The rest of my face is normal, but sometimes my nose gets oily. Sometimes the dry spots appear more patchy on some days, sometimes they aren't patchy at all. It's definitely a struggle.

(Above is the swatch of shade 50 Nude Beige onto my arm) 

Onto the product itself!

Upon swatching it onto my arm, the texture of the powder is extremely silky. It doesn't resemble anything like chalk at all. I used a powder brush to apply it all over my skin because the sponge does particularly nothing for me and it is quite unhygienic if used over and over without properly cleansing the sponge.

I put a layer all over my face, and it seems to have given me a light/sheer finish. It does not appear to be too oily, but it does cling onto the dry patches on my nose and my forehead. As for the rest of my face, it gave a nice, subtle even finish. I can imagine that this would work really well for oily skin as this seems to be a mattifying powder. I can also see this being used as a setting powder on top of foundation if you are looking for something to make your face matte without looking cake-y.

The powder feels light, weightless and extremely smooth. It did not drag and feels like as if I have nothing on my skin. This is a great alternative to liquid foundations if you're looking for something light and evens out your skin tone.

(No filter, before and after photo)

The wear time on this lasted me about 4 to 5 hours, but that is to expected with most powders I used. Considering that I live in the most humid, hot place in Texas and didn't use a setting spray, that lasts a lot longer than most powders! 

(Topped with the rest of my make-up on, no filter)

All in all, I would say to give this powder a try for those with oily-combination skin! I have tried other powders which left me looking like a cracked sidewalk on summer's day, but this one made me look as smooth as a baby's butt. 

(No filter, I swear!) 

Final rating: 

, Cindy


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments